Ultra Trail Star
The Insanity of the Jim Factor
It’s Sunday morning and I’m kicking back reflecting on the morning run. (4am start 24km total, 2hrs.39mins)
I decided to flick through some of my booked marked channels on youtube.
Please forgive my ignorance. Until that Sunday morning I didn’t know who Jim Walmsley was.
My introduction to Jim Walmsley
During the video of the 2017 Tarawera Ultramarathon highlights.
David Byrne starts reflecting on his 2nd placing in 2016.
David then said that his game plan was a little bit up in the air due to the Insanity of the Jim Factor.
With that comment and David’s previous comment of Jim being untouchable.
I had to know more about Jim Walmsley.
“Run Without Limits”
That’s Jim’s moto.
During one of his interviews Jim said.
He is going to fail 1 in 5 races for going out to hard. But it’s home run’s that people remember not how many times you strike out.
Hence the moto, run without limits.
You do not have success without failure. And Jim has had his fair share.
From fighting his own demons to missing a turn that cost him a race and a record breaking time.
From Jim’s Website
I started trail running in Great Falls, Montana to help me through my own tough times.
In 2015, I moved back to my home state of Arizona, choosing Flagstaff’s 7,000ft elevation and nearby Grand Canyon to train my butt off, refocusing my life with ultra-trail running as my priority.
Things have worked out for the best.
I love the pursuit of running without limits and trying to find ways to challenge myself while also challenging fellow runners, competitors, my best friends, and the ultra legends of the past.
Running is my passion and I love sharing this wild ride with those around me.
You can follow Jim on Strava
- 2018 Western States 100 Champion & Course Record Holder
- 2017 Ultrarunner of the Year
- 2016 Ultrarunner of the Year
- 2017 International Trail Running Association World #1 Ranking
- Fastest Known Time,
- Grand Canyon R2R2R 5:55:20
- (Previous) Fastest Known Time, Grand Canyon R2R 2:46:08
- Most Consecutive Wins At JFK 50 Mile (3)
- 20th 2016 Western States 100
- 16 Career Ultra Wins
- 17 Career Trail Course Records
- Western States 100 (14:30:04)
- Lake Sonoma 50 Mile (5:51:16 2018/6:00:52 2016)
- JFK 50 Mile (5:21:28)
- Tarawera 102k (7:23:32)
- Bandera 100k (7:46:37)
- Gorge Waterfalls 100k (8:20:28)
- Speedgoat 50k (5:04:55)
- Carrero Alto Sil 30k (2:37:57)
- Kendall Mountain Run (1:31:05)
- Franklin Mountain 50k (4:34:07)
- Stagecoach 55k (3:30:34)
- Mesquite Canyon 55k (4:11:09)
- Old Gabe 50k (5:26:04)
- Don’t Fence Me In 30k (2:08:19)
- Costa Trail Gijón (1:25:43)
- Blackout Night Runs 13k (53:27)
- Mount Sentinel Hill Climb (19:52)